Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

I woke up worrying this morning. Have been in a financial downward spiral this month. One day I think I'm out of it... The next day I find out I'm not. So "worry" was the first thing on my mind when I woke up... And the first thing I did was check my bank balance... Then I REALLY worried! LOL. The more I worried the bigger the problem got in my head, ya know what I mean? In a split second you can go from casual thoughts of being low on cash for a day or two... To financial bankruptcy if you let your mind dwell in that place for even a couple of minutes. Sometimes our worst enemy is our minds. But then I remembered what I have been trying to get across to all of us, myself included, on this blog... To change those old tapes that have played time and time again in our minds in the past that just left us in emotional ruin. "Stinkin' Thinkin'! as I like to call it. Immediately I turned my thoughts to Jesus.... I started thanking Him for waking up and feeling good this morning. I thanked Him for my family and friends, I thanked Him for what He has been doing in my life lately as far as ministry. As I went on thinking of things to be thankful for my list grew long... Heck, I even thanked Him for being able to get out of bed this morning!! Because when it comes right down to it.... We should be thankful for the very breath we're able to take on our own... A roof over our heads, food readily available in and waiting for us in the kitchen. Being able to walk, to talk, to smile... Oh the things I need to remember to ALWAYS be thankful for go on and on, really.
3 days a week I visit a friend of mine who had a stroke 3 years ago... He was a vibrant man, worldly, legendary in the world of Fiats and Ferraris... A master painter... An inspiration to many in his 76 years. But in the blink of an eye, a stroke took that all away from him. He can no longer walk, he can't talk, has to be fed thru a tube, he can't move from the bed on his own... His daily needs have to be taken care of by the nursing staff. All of his finances had to be done away with, so he could be covered by Medi-Cal for this 24/7 care. I go and sit with him, talk to him, take him outside in his wheelchair, and try to encourage him, to get him to even smile a little. So, after doing this, seeing him 3 days a week for almost 2 years now, you'd think I would NEVER EVER complain about ANYTHING in my life. But I'm only human and God is still working on me...
So, again I say, instead of dwelling on your current crud... That you could blow up in your mind... Making your problems insurmountable,
start thinking of all you DO have to BE THANKFUL for... And then start THANKING HIM for those things. Doing this type of thinking, praying, will become the tapes that play in your head eventually and you will walk around with an Attitude of Gratitude. A thankful heart also puts you in line with God's Will, a place where you will begin to see His Presence and blessings in all that you do. And that my friends, is something to be very very THANKFUL for.

Jesus Calling by Sarah Young says this today:
LET THANKFULNESS TEMPER ALL YOUR THOUGHTS. A thankful mind-set keeps you in touch with Me. I hate it when my children grumble, casually despising My sovereignty. Thankfulness is a safeguard against this deadly sin. Furthermore, a grateful attitutide becomes a grid through which you perceive life. Gratitude enables you to see the Light of My Presence shining on all your circumstances. Cultivate a thankful heart, for this glorifies Me and fills you with joy.
1Cor 10:10. Heb 12:28-29

1 comment:

  1. AMEN and AMEN! Not much to add to this Co! You have, virtually, hit the nail on the head. Like the song I learned in Vacation Bible School, lo, these MAANNNY years ago; "Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your many blessings, see what God has done." Thanks for reminding me, Co! YOU are one of the BEST BLESSINGS that God has given me. I am, truly, grateful to Him, for YOU! Mommy

    ReplyDelete